Chillicothe firefighters remain busy with calls Thursday and Friday

Firetruck

The Chillicothe Fire Department responded to three fires Thursday afternoon through early Friday morning.

Chillicothe Fire Chief Darrell Wright reports the fire department provided mutual aid of a pumper and tanker to the Lock Springs Fire Protection District at a fire Thursday afternoon that caused a barn to collapse. He says the barn at 8556 LIV 515 was burning on the ground when Chillicothe Fire arrived. Crews set up a portable tank and used a hand line to cool the fire. They were on the scene about 50 minutes at the property owned by Jason Mitchell.

Wright reports the Chillicothe Fire Department responded to a call of a possible structure fire at 527 Saint Louis in Chillicothe Thursday night with two pumpers. The dispatcher reported a neighbor had called when she heard a smoke detector in the duplex next to hers. The Chillicothe Police Department had already entered the duplex and found some food burning on the stove before the fire department arrived.

Wright notes the firefighters used a fan to evacuate smoke, and the duplex may have sustained minor smoke damage. An occupant returned home shortly after the fire department arrived and said he thought he had turned off the stove before he left. The occupants are listed as Doug and Janette Douglas.

The Chillicothe Housing Authority owns the property, and Wright reports personnel from the Housing Authority arrived on the scene. Firefighters left after about 30 minutes.

The Chillicothe Fire Department also responded to a front porch fire at 111 Tenth Street in Chillicothe early Friday morning. Wright says the department responded with two pumpers and eight personnel.

Homeowner Brenda Crawford had put water on the fire by the time crews arrived. However, the deck was still burning, and the fire had extended up the exterior wall to the eaves and under the deck. Firefighters used a hand line to extinguish the fire and cut away part of the deck to check for fire extension.

The cause of the fire is undermined, but he suspects it was started by discarded smoking material. There was moderate damage to the deck and side of the home with Wright reporting crews were on the scene about thirty-five minutes.