Stovetop fire causes smoke damage at Plaza Apartments

Trenton Fire Department

A stove-top fire early Saturday caused what was described as minor smoke damage to a residence at Plaza Apartments in Trenton.

Trenton firefighter Derek Hert reported there was no fire damage and no injuries.

Firefighter Hert explained cooking was being done while there were papers in the middle of the stovetop, too close to the burner and the stove was not being watched at the time. Firefighters arrived shortly after 4 o’clock Saturday morning to find light smoke in the hallway outside the apartment and moderate smoke throughout the first-floor apartment. Firefighters extinguished smoldering papers and ventilated the residence with a fan. The occupant was listed as Scott Marshall.

The Trenton Fire Department was contacted by the Trenton Police Department after receiving an automatic fire alarm activation.

Firefighters were assisted by Grundy County Rural firefighters, the Grundy County Ambulance Service, and Trenton Police. Firefighters were on the scene for approximately one hour.