Space heaters cause 80-percent of fatal home heating-related fires each year in the U.S. State Fire Marshal Tim Bean says they should not be left unattended and recommends leaving at least three feet of space between the heater and flammable items. Bean says the cold weather is a good reminder to check your smoke detectors. If you do not have one that works, call your local fire department or the Missouri Fire Marshal’s office.
Bean says keep your pets away from space heaters so they don’t accidentally knock over the heating sources or sleep near them. He says power strips or extension cords should not be used with space heaters and that the heating source should not be left unattended.