Young child injured in Savannah, Missouri fire

fire figher and fire

(St. Joseph News Press) – Savannah, Missouri, firefighters responded to a garage blaze Saturday evening that resulted in injuries to a young child.

Interim Savannah Fire Department Chief Dave Vincent said the call went out at 6:20 p.m. to the residence at 505 E. Price St.

En route, the responding crews learned from a city police officer that the fire had begun spreading from the garage to the house at the address. Vincent said there was some damage to the exterior of the home.

He said the fire had started when a young boy played with a lighter and gasoline. Vincent said the extent of the child’s injuries were unclear, but that he was initially taken to Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph.

Crews were on the scene for 1½ hours. The garage and a car parked to its rear were destroyed.