Kansas City man sentenced to 13+ years in prison for meth trafficking and illegal firearms

Methamphetamine trafficking news graphic
Share To Your Social Network

 A Kansas City, Mo., man who was injured when his ATV flipped over while making a turn on an Independence, Mo., street was sentenced in federal court for illegally possessing firearms and methamphetamine.

Melvin L. Carter, 48, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Greg Kays to 13 years and nine months in federal prison without parole.

On May 30, 2023, Carter pleaded guilty to one count of possessing methamphetamine with the intent to distribute, one count of possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking crime, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Independence police officers were called to an address on S. Overton Avenue on Oct. 14, 2022, after Carter was ejected from his ATV as it flipped over while making a turn. Before the officers’ arrival, the Independence Fire Department responded to an earlier 911 call and informed officers that Carter had been armed when they arrived at the scene of the accident. They retrieved his firearm, a Keltec 9mm pistol, which they turned over to the police officers. Officers found the ATV flipped on its side when they arrived at the scene. Carter was bleeding from his head and being treated by paramedics.

Police officers checked Carter’s jacket and found a plastic baggie that contained approximately 105 grams of methamphetamine.

Under federal law, it is illegal for anyone who has been convicted of a felony to be in possession of any firearm or ammunition. Carter has prior felony convictions for robbery, possession of a controlled substance, sale of a controlled substance, trafficking, and resisting arrest.

After Carter was federally indicted, Independence police officers located him and placed him under arrest on March 22, 2023. Carter was in possession of a loaded Glock .40-caliber handgun with an extended magazine and approximately 215 grams of methamphetamine.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Q. McCarther. It was investigated by the Independence, Mo., Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Share To Your Social Network