Trenton and Grundy County Rural Firefighters this morning responded to a call about smoke at the Rapid Removal transfer station in the north part of Trenton. Spokesman for the department, Doug Franklin, said smoke was observed coming from the large overhead doors. Once entry was made, a thermal imaging camera was used to find the source of the smoldering fire. Something had combusted within the trash contents of the transfer trailer.
Franklin indicated it could possibly have been insulation that contributed to the fire. Once the fire was extinguished, the trailer was pulled out of the building where additional water was poured on the trash to extinguish any smoldering embers.
There was no damage observed to the trailer nor to the building.
The Trenton Fire Department and Grundy County Rural Fire Protection District were at the scene for 90 minutes this morning (5:25 am to 6:53 am), with no injuries reported.