Trenton Fire Department responds to home with overheated electrical outlet

Trenton Fire Department

Trenton Firefighter Derek Hert reports an overheated electrical outlet caused minor damage to a utility room at a house in Trenton Wednesday night.

Upon arrival to 1111 Rural Street, he says firefighters found light smoke and no fire inside the residence. Firefighters utilized a thermal imaging camera to locate the outlet showing signs of wires that overheated, caused the smoke, and activated the smoke alarm that alerted the residents of the problem.

Hert reports a light had been plugged into the outlet improperly, which caused the outlet to overheat and char the cover. Firefighters disconnected the power source and advised the residents to contact an electrician before restoring power.

The Grundy County Rural Fire Protection District and Ambulance assisted the Trenton Fire Department who were on the scene about 45 minutes.

The owner of the house was reported to be Ray Johnson and the occupant as Carla Dobbs. Hert says this incident shows the importance of smoke detectors throughout a home and noted that the Trenton Fire Department offers free smoke detectors through the American Red Cross for individuals who own a home within the Trenton city limits.

Those interested in learning more about the smoke detector program can contact the fire department at 359-5552.