Investigation continues into Carrollton man who fled from law enforcement

Police pursuit

The Livingston County Sheriff’s Office is continuing an investigation of a Carrollton man who allegedly tried to flee from law enforcement on Sunday evening, February 2, 2020.

Livingston County Sheriff Steve Cox reports law enforcement arrested 21-year-old Jeffery Lee Smith the Third after a deputy saw a vehicle without a working brake light or lights and stopped it to notify the driver. The vehicle allegedly took off at a high rate of speed as the deputy approached it, the deputy notified dispatch, and he attempted to stop the vehicle.

The deputy witnessed the vehicle run seven stop signs, going the wrong way on Calhoun Street in Chillicothe, and traveling more than 70 miles per hour in a 25 zone. The vehicle was found wrecked at the east end of Calhoun, and the deputy saw two men climbing out of it, fleeing on foot.

Deputy Jordan Williams chased the driver, later identified as Smith, and saw him trying to hide in a brush pile. Investigation shows the suspect allegedly refused to follow repeated verbal commands from the deputy and would not show his hands. The deputy was able to get one hand in handcuffs and attempted to take the suspect into custody when he reportedly became combative and physically resisted. The deputy was about to use pepper spray on Smith when the Chillicothe Police Department arrived to assist and help take control of the man.

Officers found the suspect had two knives in his waistband, one of which was opened as if ready to be used. He is concerned the man may have planned to use a knife on law enforcement.

Smith was taken to the Chillicothe Police Department and did not want to provide his personal information. Pictures were shared with the Carrollton Police, as that is where the vehicle was from, and they were able to help identify Smith. It was discovered Smith had an outstanding parole violation warrant.

Smith is on parole for two felonies in Carroll County: first degree tampering with a motor vehicle and delivery of a controlled substance. He was transferred by two sheriff’s office staff to the Daviess DeKalb Regional Jail and returned to the Missouri Department of Corrections Monday, February 3, 2020.