Chillicothe Firefighters respond to Slack Street

Firefighter

A residence at Chillicothe received extensive smoke and fire damage early Sunday however, two occupants were able to exit the structure safely.

Firefighters responded to the Lori Adkison residence at 211 Slack Street.

The blaze was attributed to smoking in bed and catching blankets on the bed on fire.

Fire Chief Wright quoted the homeowner as saying she was smoking in bed, fell asleep, awoke to the blankets on fire, and attempted to put the fire out. However, Wright said it quickly spread through the bedroom.

When firefighters arrived at the residence, there was heavy smoke in addition to flames were burning from the northeast corner of the structure. The home received heavy smoke damage throughout and heavy fire damage in the northeast part of the structure, including burning through the roof.

Approximately 500 gallons of a water and foam mixture were used to extinguish the blaze with firefighters were on the scene slightly over one hour.

A Chillicothe Fire Department Chaplain was contacted and made arrangements with the Red Cross to care for the family.