Burning leaves start fire at 1641 Bryan Street in Chillicothe

Fire Graphic

While responding to the rural fire Tuesday night, Chillicothe firefighters were called to 1641 Bryan, owned by Andrew Perkins, where a pile of burning leaves spread into some bushes, next to a house, catching siding on fire.

Upon arrival, a fire department spokesman said the owner was using a garden hose to spray water on the vinyl siding on the front of the house.  A pile of leaves was being burned in the yard when the wind picked up causing the blaze to quickly spread to bushes in front of the home.  A passerby stopped to assist the homeowner prior to the fire department arriving at the scene.

While the fire melted some siding and insulation on the house, the department said it did not penetrate or burn the original siding that was underneath.