Trenton firefighter Derek Hert reports a shed received moderate damage Thursday morning as the result of a controlled burn spreading to it.
He says the Trenton Fire Department arrived at 301 West 22nd Street owned by Shey Marrs to find a brush pile fire had spread to the small shed with fire showing from the west side of the structure.
Crews used a water extinguisher to suppress the fire and a brush truck to extinguish the fire. Crews were on the scene about 25 minutes.
Hert says the fire was caused by open burning too close to a structure. He reminds the public that any open burning within the Trenton city limits needs to be at least 50 feet from a structure, a water source should be readily available, and the fire should never be left unattended.
Hert adds that the fire can only contain yard waste, including tree branches, leaves, and yard trimmings.
The Grundy County Rural Fire Protection District assisted the Trenton Fire Department.