(CNN) – Several types of Nature Made vitamins are being recalled due to possible salmonella or Staphylococcus aureus contamination, according to a Tuesday announcement from Pharmavite LLC.
The following products are being recalled:
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi, lot numbers 1196066, 1196071, 1205052
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi + Omega-3, lot numbers 1173600
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Multi for Her plus Omega-3s, lot numbers 1196048, 1196050
- Nature Made Super B Complex w/C & Folic Acid tablets, lot numbers 1173779, 1170987, 1204735, 1173146, 1204001
Consumers can find the lot numbers on the back panel next to the expiration date.
“The recall was initiated after it was discovered that salmonella and/or Staphylococcus aureus testing were not completed properly on these specific batch lots,” a Pharmavite press release said.
Symptoms of salmonella illness, including diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps, may begin 12 to 72 hours after a person is exposed to the bacteria. Illness can last four to seven days and most people recover on their own. Salmonella causes an estimated 1 million cases of illness every year in the United States.
The presence of Staph aureus toxin in food may lead to food poisoning, according to Pharmavite, and the most common symptoms are nausea, vomiting, retching, abdominal cramping, and prostration.
Additional Nature Made products are being recalled because “there was a process breakdown that doesn’t allow us to rule out the presence of other microorganisms, such as yeast,” according to an email from the company. The recalled products are:
- Nature Made Adult Gummies Hair, Skin, Nails, lot numbers 1198437 and 1198438
- Nature Made Vitamin D 1000 IU tablets, lot numbers 1147550, 1174782, 1176755, 1140172, 1175637, 1176756, 1147978, 1147557
Consumers are advised to stop using the affected Nature Made products and return them to stores for full refunds. Pharmavite is asking retailers and distributors to remove the impacted products from store shelves immediately.