Kansas Girl Nearly Strangled By Utility Line

Date 2014/7/31 4:04:20 | Topic: News

FRANKLIN COUNTY, KS (KCTV) - On Tuesday, 10-year-old Cameron Peel was riding her bike as she would any other night in her hometown of Lane, Kansas, located in Franklin County.
Original Image
Only this bike ride ended with a crash, and a near strangulation, as young Cameron rode into a dangling utility wire that wrapped around her neck.

"It hurt really bad. It burned," Cameron told KCTV5 News.

Cameron Peel has a nasty abrasion on her neck, kind of like a rope burn. But, it wasn't a rope that did the damage, it was a utility line.

"I tried to go under it because it was diagonal, so I tried to go under it, and it got caught, and I was trying to get it off," Peel remembered.

She's lucky. The doctor says Cameron has a strained neck muscle.

Her father said he and his wife believe Lane, a tiny farm town, gets neglected by the utility companies, especially after storms like the one tore through there two weeks ago.

"It's something that should be taken care of and addressed for public safety," said Trent Caswell, Cameron's dad.

Asked if anyone complained about the line, or reported it, Caswell said he didn't think so.

KCTV5 News checked with CenturyLink, Lane's service provider, and was told the wire was a cable line. Odd, since Lane doesn't have cable service.

One neighbor suggested it might be a cable from a previous company that went out of business nearly a decade ago.

Now that it's gone, Cameron Peel is already back in the saddle.

"I'm still going to ride it. I'm not afraid anymore because that cord's not there anymore," Peel said.

And, there is a final word of caution from area utility companies we talked with, avoid any downed lines because you don't know whether they're live or not. And, as this case shows, even dead lines can be dangerous.



This article comes from KTTN-FM AND KGOZ-FM
http://www.kttn.com/kgozfm

The URL for this story is:
http://www.kttn.com/kgozfm/modules/news/article.php?storyid=13081