GoFundMe Suspends Campaign For Victoria's Victories
Date 2014/6/26 4:28:00 | Topic: News
|JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - The website that provided a place for thousands of dollars to be raised for Victoria's Victories is working to return some of that money.|
The site, GoFundMe, says because of the "ongoing uncertainty surrounding the 'Victoria's Victories' online fundraising effort, GoFundMe has temporarily suspended the campaign until the full truth is made clear.
Donors wishing to request a refund may do so at: http://www.gofundme.com/contact."
According to an earlier statement from the company, many of those funds had already been frozen.
"First and foremost the GoFundMe Team would like to wish the very best to 3-year-old Victoria Wilcher while she recovers from her injuries. While the controversy surrounding Victoria's fundraising campaign is unfortunate, it's important to remember that the investigation is ongoing and the party representing the campaign is standing by the original story. GoFundMe's internal safeguards have been activated, placing a hold on the account balance until the investigation is complete."
This is all happening because of the KFC investigation results released yesterday that concluded the incident of a young girl, Victoria Wilcher, being thrown out of a Jackson restaurant did not happen.
Victoria was injured in a pit bull attack just a few months ago at her grandparents' house.
According to a Facebook post on Victoria's Victories the little girl was asked by a KFC employee to leave a Jackson restaurant because her appearance was disturbing some of the patrons.
The family has not responded to the latest developments and the Facebook page "Victoria's Victories" has been taken down.
Monday, a community newspaper, the Laurel Leader-Call, called the story of a young girl being thrown out of a local restaurant "A Kentucky Fried Hoax"
Quoting an unnamed source they say has "deep knowledge of the investigation," the paper's report addresses concerns and alleged inconsistencies with the family's version of events.
They point to early confusion or misstatements about which location was the setting of the incident and, they claim, that no restaurant surveillance video backs up the family's version of events.
Monday night on their Facebook page, Victoria's Victories, they posted this statement:
I promise its not a hoax, I never thought any of this would blow up the way it has. The article circling the web calling this a hoax is untrue. The article it self say the investigation is not complete. It is not over until KFC releases a statement. The media outlet running this story is not connected with KFC. The family has not asked for anything, a attorney is handling all the media publicity for the family pro bono. Please do not believe untrue media. I have personally watched this family go without to provide for Victoria. They have not and would not do anything to hurt Victoria in any way.
KFC Corp. says they will stand by their pledge of $30,000 to help with the medical bills of the 3-year-old.