Man Killed In Fire; Space Heater Blamed

Date 2013/12/5 4:40:29 | Topic: News

University City, Mo (AP) - A space heater too close to window drapes sparked a house fire in University City that killed a man on Tuesday afternoon, authorities say.

Original Image
The victim was identified Wednesday morning as Wardie R. Neely Jr., 51, of the 6700 block of Plymouth Avenue.

Assistant Chief David Crismon of the University City Fire Department said the space heater was fueled by natural gas and ignited the drapes in a living room addition of the single-family home.

Firefighters were called to the scene at about 2:40 p.m. Tuesday and saw heavy smoke and flames. The man was found on the first floor. Crews brought him out, then had the fire under control within about 20 minutes.

The victim was taken to a hospital, where he died a short time later.

Crismon, who was also fire investigator in this case, said he did not hear any smoke alarms sounding.



This article comes from KTTN-FM AND KGOZ-FM
http://www.kttn.com/kgozfm

The URL for this story is:
http://www.kttn.com/kgozfm/modules/news/article.php?storyid=10813