Skin Cancer Screenings To Be Offered At Grundy County Health Department
Date 2013/10/23 6:45:02 | Topic: News
|Representatives from Cleaver Dermatology of Kirksville (with Missouri offices in Trenton, Chillicothe, Macon, Brookfield and in Bloomfield & Fairfield, IA) will offer free skin cancer screenings at the Grundy County Health Department.|
Appointments are requested for Wednesday, October 30th from 10 to 3 o’clock. The health department said the purpose of the clinic is to promote the early detection and prevention of skin cancers. Appointments are required as space is limited.
Skin cancer is considered the most common form of cancer in the United States. The two most common types, (called basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas,) are curable, but officials say treatment can be disfiguring. Melanoma, the third most common skin cancer, can be deadly.
Anyone can get skin cancer, but some things put you at higher risk, like having:
· A history of sunburns and/or indoor tanning
· Exposure to the sun through work and play
· A lighter natural skin color
· Skin that burns, freckles, reddens easily, or becomes painful in the sun
· Blue or green eyes
· Naturally blond or red hair
· A personal history of skin cancer
· A family history of melanoma
To schedule a skin cancer appointment, call the Grundy County Health Department at 660-359-4196. The health department is located at 1716 Lincoln Street in Trenton.