Accident At Hoffman & Reed Sends Two To Hospital
Date 2013/10/18 4:40:00 | Topic: News
|An anhydrous ammonia accident late yesterday (Thursday) morning at Trenton resulted in one person being flown to University of Kansas Medical Center with burns to his lower back. |
A second person was treated and released from Wright memorial hospital after experiencing throat irritation from inhalation.
Flown to KU Medical Center was Alan Clark, who's approximately 57 years old. He is reported to reside between Trenton and Laredo
Dustin Whorton of Trenton, who's approximately 35, was treated and released from Wright Memorial Hospital. Both persons are Hoffman and Reed employees. The incident occurred at the Hoffman and Reed north plant.
Phil Hoffman indicated the men were filling nurse tanks from a main anhydrous tank.
Hoffman explained it's his understanding one tank had been filled and the men were getting ready to fill another tank when a hose was moved. Clark apparently got his feet tangled in the hose and fell. During that process a valve cracked open and the liquid anhydrous escaped.
Hoffman said Clark was wearing a coat and gloves.
Whorton, and other Hoffman Reed workers, closed the valve putting Clark into a shower at the facility and watered him down. Hoffman explained the employees did everything right in responding to the accident.
He indicated none of the other workers experienced inhalation problems.
Trenton Fire Department Lieutenant mike Moore said the man flown by medical helicopter had second degree burns to to about 20 percent of his lower back.
Lieutenant Moore said firefighters were dispatched to the scene shortly before 11 o'clock Thursday morning.
The accident came shortly after emergency personnel and other officials concluded a drill involving a mock fuel truck spill at the Trenton airport. Persons involved in the drill were talking about the practice exercise when they were called to a real emergency response.