Fire and smoke damage appeared to be minor at a house in Trenton this morning.
The Trenton fire department was called to 312 West 12th Street when authorities received
a report of smoke. Fire Chief Rick Morris said the owner lives in the state of California.
Chief Morris reported the fire appears to be electrical in nature, involving wiring in the basement. Electricity and gas were shut off as a precaution.
Once the fire was extinguished and smoke ventilated, KTTN's reporter was allowed to enter the house and observe a small hole in the flooring of one room and damage to the joists there. At that time, 10:30 am, firefighters were in the basement using a special mixture of foam to thoroughly extinguish any hot spots. That foam is now available because of the capabilities of Trenton's recently acquired fire truck.
Chief Morris credits the 9-1-1 call made by an alert neighbor in preventing what could have been a much bigger fire. He told KTTN that from the damage, it appeared the floor joists may have been burning for some time.
The two-story (â€śballoon frameâ€ť) house, which Morris has been unoccupied for several months, includes furnishings downstairs and unrented apartments upstairs.
There were no injuries. Grundy County Rural Fire Department assisted at the scene this morning at the corner of 12th and Merrill in Trenton.