User Login    
 + Register
News : Officer's Conviction In Cannibalism Case Overturned
Posted by Randy on 2014/7/1 4:12:11 (248 reads) News by the same author

NEW YORK (AP) -- The 2013 conviction of a former New York City police officer in a plot to kidnap, torture, kill and eat women was overturned late Monday by a federal judge who said there was not sufficient evidence to support it.
Click to see original Image in a new window

The judge, Paul G. Gardephe of Federal District Court in Manhattan, granted the former officer, Gilberto Valle, a verdict of acquittal on the most serious count that he faced, kidnapping conspiracy. He could have faced life in prison on that count.

“The evidentiary record is such that it is more likely than not the case that all of Valle’s Internet communications about kidnapping are fantasy role-play,” Judge Gardephe said in a 118-page opinion issued late Monday night.

Mr. Valle, who was convicted in March 2013, had not yet been sentenced, and his federal public defenders had asked Judge Gardephe to grant him a new trial, arguing that the Constitution granted people — including police officers — “the right to fantasize about whatever and whomever they like, free from government interference.”

No women were ever abducted or harmed in the plot, but prosecutors told the jury that Mr. Valle had “crossed the line” while immersing himself in a fetish website where he communicated electronically with others about how he wanted to abduct women, butcher and cook them, and eat them.

Mr. Valle’s lawyers had argued that his plot was all part of a twisted fantasy — “no more real than the alien invasion” featured in the 1938 radio drama “War of the Worlds,” one defense lawyer, Julia L. Gatto, said in her closing argument.

But federal prosecutors argued that Mr. Valle had taken “concrete steps” to further his plans, including illegally looking up potential victims in a law enforcement database, carrying out surveillance of them, and using the Internet to research ways to abduct, subdue and cook potential victims.

“He left the world of fantasy; he entered the world of reality,” one prosecutor, Hadassa Waxman, said in her closing argument.

But Judge Gardephe wrote that “once the lies and the fantastical elements are stripped away, what is left are deeply disturbing misogynistic chats and emails written by an individual obsessed with imagining women he knows suffering horrific sex-related pain, terror and degradation.

“Despite the highly disturbing nature of Valle’s deviant and depraved sexual interests, his chats and emails about these interests are not sufficient — standing alone — to make out the elements of conspiracy to commit kidnapping.”

The case had drawn widespread attention both because it involved a police officer and because it raised the question of when does a virtual crime, discussed and plotted in Internet chat rooms, cross over into actual criminal activity, including what kinds of additional steps are needed to create an actual crime.

The judge said in “the unique circumstances of this extraordinary case,” he had concluded that the evidence offered by prosecutors at trial was not “sufficient to demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that Valle entered into a genuine agreement to kidnap a woman, or that he specifically intended to commit a kidnapping.”

The judge said in an order issued earlier on Monday that he would hold a hearing on Tuesday, presumably to discuss the status of Mr. Valle, who has been imprisoned since his arrest in late 2012.

Judge Gardephe upheld Mr. Valle’s conviction on a second count, of illegally gaining access to the law enforcement database, which carried a maximum sentence of one year. Mr. Valle was fired by the Police Department upon his conviction.

Printer Friendly Page Send this Story to a Friend Create a PDF from the article


Other articles
2014/8/20 11:21:38 - Milan Hosts Four-Team Softball Jamboree
2014/8/20 9:29:40 - Spickard Board Of Education Meets
2014/8/20 9:26:26 - Two Arrested On Drug Charges In Chillicothe
2014/8/20 9:22:05 - Dr G. Talks About Contagions
2014/8/20 7:35:12 - Man Convicted In 30-Year-Old Homicide Case
2014/8/20 4:44:52 - MO Gov. Nixon: 'Vigorous Prosecution' Needed After Death Of Michael Brown
2014/8/20 4:30:09 - Moberly Medical Clinics Affected By Data Breach
2014/8/20 4:26:24 - Bystanders Save Passengers From Burning Car In Fiery Ozarks Crash
2014/8/20 4:21:03 - Habersham County Will Not Pay Medical Bills For Baby Injured In Raid
2014/8/20 4:13:17 - Support Grows For Officer Who Shot Ferguson Teen Michael Brown
2014/8/20 4:01:58 - Man Arrested At Livingston County Courthouse With Knife
2014/8/19 20:20:00 - Trenton Wins and Ties, In Tuesday Night Softball Jamboree
2014/8/19 18:20:00 - MLB Moves Royals-Indians Game To "Sunday Night Baseball"
2014/8/19 11:07:24 - Grundy County Nursing Home District Meets
2014/8/19 11:01:33 - Grundy County Commissioners Meeting Report
2014/8/19 10:39:44 - 8-Year-Old Chillicothe Girl Places 2nd At Missouri State Fair
2014/8/19 10:36:11 - Alumni Band To Perform At First Trenton Home Game
2014/8/19 10:31:09 - One In Five Rely On Food Pantries In Missouri
2014/8/19 10:27:03 - Two Area Schools Post Enrollment Figures
2014/8/19 10:24:45 - 3rd Annual NCMC Foundation Golf Tournament Slated For August 29th
2014/8/19 10:21:16 - Several Locations Designated For Demolition In Trenton
2014/8/19 4:48:02 - Suspect Arrested At Edge Of Maryville After High Speed Chase
2014/8/19 4:19:17 - KC Officer Faces Review For Michael Brown Facebook Posts
2014/8/19 4:06:21 - Police, Protesters Collide Again In Ferguson
2014/8/19 4:02:58 - Recent Drug Arrests And Seizures In Chillicothe
2014/8/18 17:02:23 - Trenton Softball Drops To Class 2 For 2014 Season
2014/8/18 16:13:17 - Trenton 5th and 6th Grade Cheer Meeting Announced For Thursday
2014/8/18 16:05:42 - Chiefs Fall In Carolina, 28-16
2014/8/18 15:56:53 - Mizzou Ranked #24 In AP Preseason Poll
2014/8/18 10:53:51 - Mercer Homecoming Celebration Set To Begin August 28th



Bookmark this article at these sites

                   

Listen to KTTN-FM