The Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) has completed draft Compatibility Determinations for eight different Refuge public uses.
These draft Compatibility Determinations are now available for public comment from February 24 through March 24, 2014. All comments must be received by 4:30 PM on Monday March 24, 2014. The proposed uses are as follows:
1. Eighth Grade Outdoors Day- A special day conducted for area 8thgrade students to come to the Refuge and learn about conservation.
2. Hunter Education Courses- This use will utilize Swan Lake NWR as a place to conduct Missouri Hunter Education Courses.
3. Bird Identification Workshops- This use involves a partnership with various chapters of the Audubon Society to conduct bird identification workshops on the Refuge and to access specific
areas for instructional bird watching during these workshops.
4. Dog Retrieval Demonstrations- This use involves conducting instructional dog retrieval
demonstrations during specific Refuge events.
5. First Fridays at the Refuge-This use involves the Refuge hosting First Fridays at the Refuge
programs during the spring and summer months. These programs involve numerous activities
oriented around outdoor recreation and conservation.
6. Guided Interpretive Tours-This use involves Refuge staff giving guided interpretive tours by the use of a tractor drawn trailer to various parts ofthe Refuge in conjunction with Refuge events.
7. Wetland Education Tours- This use involves the Refuge conducting a fall wetland education
program for area 5-7 grade students.
8. Youth In The Outdoors Program- This use involves a Refuge special event in partnership with local Yellow Creek Chapter of Ducks Unlimited.
To view these Compatibility Determinations in more detail and provide comments via email you can visit the refuge website at http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Swan_Lake/and click on the Compatibility Determinations Link in the top rotator block of the page. Or, you may review a copy of the Compatibility Determinations at the Chillicothe, Brookfield, and Brunswick Public Library‚Äôs. In addition, a copy is available at the Swan Lake NWR Visitor Center and comments may be submitted at the Visitor Center or mailed to:
Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge
16194 Swan Lake Avenue
Sumner, MO 64681
Comments must be received at the Refuge by 4:30 PM on Monday, March 24.
Compatibility Determinations are documents written, signed and dated by the refuge manager and the regional chief of refuges that signify whether proposedor existing uses of national wildlife refuges are compatible with their establishing purposes and the mission of the National Wildlife Refuge System. All recreational activities and economic or other uses of a refuge by the public or other non-Service entity require compatibility determinations, which must include our analysis of all facilities, structures and improvements associated with the uses.
Economic uses must also contribute to achieving refuge purposes and the mission of the Refuge System. Compatibility determinations are not required for such refuge management activities as scientific studies or surveys, historic preservation, law enforcement, or the maintenance of refuge management facilities, structures, or improvements.