Firefighters respond to residence northwest of Trenton

Firetruck

Trenton Fire and Grundy County Rural departments responded to a residence northwest of Trenton early Monday morning due to a report of smoke in the house with smoke detectors going off.

Upon arrival at 225 Northwest 3rd Avenue, firefighters talked with the occupants who informed them that the furnace was smoking and they had shut off the breaker to the furnace. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check for any other hot spots or signs of fire with none found.

According to the firefighter’s report, the homeowners had already called a repairman to come look at the issue with the furnace. He reportedly determined the fans’ blower motor had stopped working causing it to overheat.

Firefighters used a ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the residence before clearing the scene and fire crews were on scene for approximately 35 minutes.